Sunday, May 11, 2014

Lady Chatterly's Lover - D.H. Lawrence

Having heard for years about how racy this novel is but knowing it was written in the 1920s, I assumed it would actually be tame, and not particularly racy by today's standards - boy, was I wrong about that! But the real draw of this book is the story, of which raciness is a part because the author is making a point and drawing a distinction between human feelings and emotions and the mechanized, industrial world of the early 20th century. From time to time I got a whiff of the Tolstoy back and forth - "Character A loves Character B! Or does s/he? S/he does not! But no, s/he does!" - but not enough that it bothered me. All in all I think one could write some very interesting papers in a college level class about this book. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment