Monday, May 26, 2014

The Lacuna - Barbara Kingsolver

Have you ever had a book that you've started reading and just couldn't get into, so you set it aside for what ends up being a long time? This book was like that for me. I started it at least 2 previous times and for whatever reason I couldn't get into it, so I would end up abandoning it and moving on to a different book. But as one of my way-too-many Borders Last Days Sales Madness books, I knew I'd have to buckle down and finish it at some point - and I guess now is this point!

I'm not sure why I wasn't able to get into this book the first few times I tried; this time I managed quite nicely, and all in all I'd say this book is ok. It isn't a new favorite or anything, but I did come to really love the narration. The anti-Communist witch hunts in the U.S. after World War II are not my favorite period in history (because they disgust and anger me so deeply) but this worked in the context of the story. I'm not sorry I read this book, but I admit I'm glad I have finally finished it after all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment